Girls and women in general are still faced with many challenges among them includes unemployment, poor education or low educational level and early motherhood. The society expectation and belief, women are the family care takers, meaning children caretakers and house chores. Single parenting is another challenge facing women and many young girls, as the male parents runs away from their responsibilities as fathers leaving the children’s responsibilities to the mothers; limiting them the access of education and economic benefits to support their children in a good way. The number of early or child pregnancies is also very high in the area around Karatu and other places around the country.
From the challenges affecting women and girls, the upcoming NGO in Karatu is to help those women and girls in helping them to become respected and active members in the community socio-economic development.
Team in Karatu
In Karatu is our active member Stephan to register with locals a national NGO. The current board members are consisting of 4 woman and 3 men all with background in social work and education and existing experience with NGO work. They will plan and develop the upcoming NGO together.
- Identification of the target groups by means of a task force that is active in and around Karatu, doing surveys and visiting families.
- Community involvement in protecting endangered girls and women by providing information on events concerning our target groups and development of training plans for the individual cases
- Provision of scholarships to endangered girls by connecting them with formal and informal(COBET) educational institutions with boarding.
- Provision of a safe house to endangered girls with short time accommodation while looking for alternatives for them, such as boarding schools.
- Provision of a day-care to support woman and girls with children to access education such as trainings, workshops, qt-classes, and college.
- Help women acquire vocational skills such as weaving, soap making, potter, by workshops and trainings from professionals.
- Provision of training courses for health education, in particular family planning, sexually transmitted diseases, and genital mutilation.
- Providing leadership, management, and other life skill trainings for women to improve self-confidence and self-esteem in managing their lives.
- Introduction of community awareness programs that will aim at increasing women and girl’s awareness and the community in general to create a sustainable society, which is free from harmful traditional practices and customs.
- For the project sustainability, we plan a chicken and a vegetable farm and also to sell the products from vocational training through a local and online shop
Stages of Development
We started in 2021 with our scholarship program and already brought 8 girls into boarding schools and 2 girls are in our temporary safe house. We pay rent and salaries for one social worker and one cooker / cleaner. A survey is in development which will take place in Karatu town to understand better the number of our target groups.
We are almost done with registration and awaiting for our certificate for a national NGO in Tanzania. After that we will apply for a license to run our Safe House officially.
After research of appropriate property areas, we will buy 3 acres for our project. 1 acre is for farming of vegetable and chicken and the other 2 are for our buildings. The farm will supply our kitchen and sell raw food to the local market to cover partly our salaries and running costs. If necessary, we also must drill for water.
We start with construction of our planned buildings. The first one will be the safe house building, after that we want to construct the day-care, vocational training centre, office, kitchen, and toilets.
To run our Safe House, we will need 2 social workers, 1 nurse, security, cooking and other running staff and helpers.
All other programs will start, after we have the necessary fundings.
We expand our buildings with solar power supply to be independent of the national supply and we build a café /shop for our guests where they can buy our products from vocational training.
For stage 1 in 2022, we need around 6.424 EUR. In the table below you will find a more detailed overview.
|Scholarships||Temporary Safe House||Staff||Survey group||Trainings|
|Scholarships for 8 girls with background if child work, street life and abuse.||Temporary safe house with a small office for work and developing our NGO.||Social worker for caring of urgent cases, family visitation, follow ups and reports.||Small survey group to identify cases of our target groups in Karatu town.||Menstruation pad sewing training and soap making training.|
|TZS 6.720.000,00||TZS 4.020.000,00||TZS 3.300.000,00||TZS 720.000,00||TZS 1.300.000,00|
|Total EUR||EUR 6.424,00|
5% of the donations are going to AKO Administration.
IBAN: DE41 7105 2050 0005 7630 99
Keyword: Karatu Educartion
AKO – Aktionskreis Ostafrika e.V.
Rosenheimer Straße 20, D-83278 Traunstein
Online payment via PayPal service. Message with Keyword: Karatu Educartion
Opens a form for SEPA Transfer from your bank account. Keyword: Karatu Educartion